Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sinhagad

This sign means exactly what you think it means. I decided to take a hike to an old fort today. Apparently these lepords have had a few too many snacks on the locals. Some sites in India I do not need to see.
This was my guide for the day at Sinhagad. He lives in a village about 1000 ft below the fort. Each day before the sun comes up he hikes to the fort to give tours. After all tourists have left he walks home. He did not speak much english, but he kept singing the traditional songs about the battle that took place here. His skin was like leather, and he smiled a toothless grin all day.

This is Sinhagad. A mountain fort that was built over 300 years ago. The mountain top has cliffs on all sides. A famous battle took place here in which the invading army used "mountain lizards" to scale the cliffs . The lizards carried the ropes that allowed the army into the fort. Hard to see in the pictures, but the structure was amazing. Built into the side of the mountian, it is a cross between Mesa Verde and Masada (Mountain top fort in Isreal).

Inside the fort are dozens of local vendors. Each with a spread that looks about the same. Peanuts, Pineapple, and other fruits. This lady will carry her goods to this spot every day. Our country could learn a thing or two about food choices, and a hard days work.

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!! After 28 years of not reading a new Astrix book, I found one! May not seem like a big deal to most of you, but I know my dad will like it. Madison also. Looks like my collection is missing about 7 or 8. I plan to pick them up before leaving the country.















4 comments:

Madi said...

Wow, Dad! It's beautiful! I can't believe that you found the Asterix books! Yeah! We will spend the entire day you get back reading them. Love ya!

Nellie Jane said...

Greg--what an adventure. I'm glad you get some time to go around and see amazing things--not just work all the time! Thanks for posting--pictures and all.

Leslie said...

I would've loved to have seen your face when you saw that poster on the tree! We love seeing your photos!! Keep it up! Love You!

kurtisandaubrey said...

So Greg, do you work at all or are you on a 3 month vacation in India alone!? :) I wish you were going to be here for Christmas but I hope you are having fun there.